Computer Facts 21
- The day after Internet Explorer 4 was released, a few Microsoft employees left a 10 by 12-foot Internet Explorer logo on Netscape's front lawn with a message that said "We love you" at the height of the browser wars in the late 90s.
- Google logs each search queries into its systems to enhance future search.
- All the three founders of YouTube Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim were working for Paypal when they started YouTube.
- The domain name www.youtube.com was registered on Valentines Day (February 14, 2005).
- One of the biggest leaps in Google's search engine usage came about when they introduced their much improved spell checker giving birth to the "Did you mean..." feature. This instantly doubled their traffic.
- The first ever video that was uploaded on Youtube is by Jawed Karim (one of youtube founders) titled "Me at zoo" on April 23rd, 2005. This video is all of 18 seconds long.
- Anthony Greco, aged 18, became the first person arrested for spim (unsolicited instant messages) on February 21,2005.
- The 80's arcade game Phoenix was the first game ever, to introduce the concept of end-level bosses. The game had players shoot their way through an alien mothership's defences.
- The first game to incorporate real time audio effects, or basically, the difference in the same sound in different physical environments was Duke Nukem 3D. When the player shot his gun in the water, the sound would be muffled and gurgly.
- The GNU license was around since 1976, the GNU Emacs were the first machines to be released with this license.
- Sony introduced the 3.5 inch floppy in 1981.
Comments are welcomed. Post the facts that you know via comments.